GIRLS' BASKETBALL: Holloman drops 31 points on Lawrence
By Ben Coley
Published in Sports on February 17, 2017 10:02 AM
Wayne Country Day head coach David Flowers is used to seeing his girls' squad start slowly.
However, when Lawrence Academy came to town Thursday night, the Chargers decided to slam their foot on the gas pedal immediately.
WCDS scored the first 15 points of the game, and blasted Lawrence 72-33 in the second round of the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association Class 1-A state tournament.
The Chargers travel to Trinity Christian on Saturday. Tip-off is 6 p.m.
"I mean we talked about that," Flowers said. "It's time now to stop waiting for that one-minute spurt in the second quarter. They came out ready to play. I don't know if it was the talk about the state tournament or whatever it was, I was pleased to see it."
The Warriors didn't score their first points until 4:25 left in the first quarter. WCDS held a 26-8 lead and forced 11 turnovers after one period.
The Chargers boosted their advantage to 46-18 at halftime.
In the second half, WCDS forced 10 more turnovers, and outscored Lawrence 26-15.
Jala Holloman led WCDS with 31 points, dished eight assists and grabbed four rebounds. Lexi Jeffreys recorded 17 points and snagged 17 boards.
WCDS extended its win streak to 10 and has not lost a game in 2017. Each game has been decided by 17 or more points.
However, Flowers isn't concerned with how his girls will respond when games become tighter.
"Not really, because we've worked on it," Flowers said. "We've had some games earlier this year that were close. And so I'm hoping that's going to come back...I think we'll be okay with that."
Other Local Sports
- BASKETBALL: First-round playoff times and sites
- WRESTLING: Rosewood's Todd, Helt each win individual state title
- WRESTLING: Eagles gain redemption
- WRESTLING: CBA's Wallace encounters 'interesting' journey
- WRESTLING: Saints' Taylor runs into pair of tough opponents
- WRESTLING: CBA freshman Hughes turns in 1-2 worksheet at states
- GIRLS' BASKETBALL: Hilltop eliminates Faith Christian from playoffs
- GIRLS' BASKETBALL: Holloman leads WCDS with 20 points in season-ending loss
- BASKETBALL: Playoff pairings finally released
- BOYS' BASKETBALL: Gators topple Tigers, win Carolina 1A tourney