SOFTBALL: UMO splits twinbill with Winston-Salem State
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on February 17, 2017 10:03 AM
UMO Media Relations
MOUNT OLIVE -- Emily Chaisson tossed a complete-game six-hitter in the nightcap, and the University of Mount Olive split a non-conference softball doubleheader against in-state rival Winston-Salem State on Thursday.
Chaisson (3-1) fanned three WSSU batters during the Trojans' 10-2, mercy-rule win on the Nancy Chapman Cassell Field diamond. The Rams prevailed 11-4 in game one.
Kristen Power batted 2-for-2 with two RBI and scored two runs. Charlene Thompson and Anna Ingram posted two hits apiece for Mount Olive, which evened its worksheet at 5-5 overall.
Eight of nine UMO batters recorded at least one hit.
Ingram turned in a 1-for-2, two-RBI outing in game one. The junior from Rosewood is batting a crisp .417 with two runs scored, eight RBI and one stolen base.
Freshman Karen Foley (0-3) endured the pitching loss. She permitted four earned runs on three hits and posted one strikeout in 21/3 innings of action inside the circle.
The Trojans return to action Saturday with a twinbill against No. 25-ranked Lenoir-Rhyne and Goldey-Beacom College. They face Goldey-Beacom and Catawba on Sunday.
The weekend trip begins a span of eight games in a 10-day stretch, including a home twinbill against Francis Marion on Feb. 22.
Other Local Sports
- BASKETBALL: First-round playoff times and sites
- WRESTLING: Rosewood's Todd, Helt each win individual state title
- WRESTLING: Eagles gain redemption
- WRESTLING: CBA's Wallace encounters 'interesting' journey
- WRESTLING: Saints' Taylor runs into pair of tough opponents
- WRESTLING: CBA freshman Hughes turns in 1-2 worksheet at states
- GIRLS' BASKETBALL: Hilltop eliminates Faith Christian from playoffs
- GIRLS' BASKETBALL: Holloman leads WCDS with 20 points in season-ending loss
- BASKETBALL: Playoff pairings finally released
- BOYS' BASKETBALL: Gators topple Tigers, win Carolina 1A tourney